Saturday 1 June 2013

Where do dandelion clocks go?


This is my son Jack, the inspiration for MourneQuest. He is nine now but in this photograph he's only four. I had just told him all about the power that is held inside a dandelion and that if he made a wish it's sure to come true. The belief in his eyes, I think, is palpable. He blew and blew until the dome of the dandelion was as bald as I am and that's BALD.

Little did I know what was going on in that tiny little mind of his. Four nights later when I was reading him his bedtime story (I still do) he asked me where the dandelion clocks ( the seed heads) went after they were released.

Then my tiny little mind went to work. Over the next few weeks a story began to grow and then I thought it might be an idea to put it down on paper. 'Dandelion' was born!

I spent all my free time, after work,after the dishes,washing,ironing, and all the chores that every man woman and child loves in getting the story together. I didn't tell anyone what I was up to. You have to experience first hand the look on people's faces when you tell them you're writing a book. From disbelief, though 'you'll never finish it' to arrive at all out laughter. So I kept it under wraps. That all changed when my best mate who I had not seen for quite some time came back into my life.

No comments:

Post a Comment